Friday, 27 December 2013

Bielby Beck Update

Those active members of the village who regularly go for a walk around the canal will have noticed that there has recently been some work carried out to keep the Beck tidy and flowing freely. This has been paid for by the Parish as agreed at recent meetings and I hope everyone agrees that the contractor has done a good job to complete the work.

Neil Readman needs half a dozen volunteers to carry out some work that wasn't possible by machine.

The dates in mind are Saturday 15th or 22nd February 2014 dependent on the volunteers and availability of volunteers. Please contact Neil if you can help.

Saturday, 21 December 2013

Vixen 101 Radio Christmas Line Up

Tony has asked me to add this to the website.

BIGGEST FESTIVE PROGRAMME LINE-UP YET ON VIXEN 101

East Yorkshire community radio station Vixen 101 has unveiled its biggest Christmas schedule yet with special programmes by guest presenters,  three locally-produced dramas and creative writing.

Requests and dedications can be made on the radio with Bill’s Foxy Christmas. Bill Horncastle gives up three hours of his Christmas Day from 10am to give listeners their choice of music as the wrapping paper comes off the gifts and the celebrations continue.

Vixen 101 welcomes the Market Weighton Scout Leader and fire station manager John Speak for an hour of chat and his choice of music. John’s wide-ranging playlist shows a real passion for the sounds of Johnny Cash plus some surprises. Hear John on Christmas Day, 1-2pm, and Boxing Day, 9-10am.

Seaton Ross playwright and actor Rob Winlow presents a selection of songs from the shows and silver screen. Rob brings his encyclopaedic knowledge of the world of musicals to 101.8FM on Christmas Day at 5pm and Boxing Day at 11am.

The pioneers of pantomime in Shiptonthorpe, Alan and Diane Heaven, present their anecdotes and song choices in Christmas Heaven on Christmas Day at 6pm and Boxing Day at 5pm.

Drama plays a major role this Christmas with the concluding episode of the winter crime blockbuster, Cat’s Cradle, by the Market Weighton Community Players on Sunday 22nd December at 6pm, repeated on Christmas Eve at 8pm. There is another chance to hear Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol by the Players, on Tuesday at 6pm, and 4pm on Christmas Day. Meanwhile, there is a new comedy, The Committee, by the Cave Players, which will be aired after 3pm on Christmas Day and Boxing Day as part of Cave Christmas.

Christmas Tales
will provide a showcase for local creative writing hosted by Tony Barker and Beth Connell on Christmas Day at 9am and Boxing Day (1pm). This show also includes contributions from Mount Pleasant Church of England School in Market Weighton.
Other highlights include a Fabulous 50s Christmas Special with Gerry Raynor, and start Christmas Day with two hours of  music from across the decades with Dave Graham (7-9am).

Two programmes reflect 2013. Join Howard Coates, Phil High and Chris Render to look back over the sporting year on Thursday 26th at 8pm, while the Vixen 101 News Team reviews a busy year of news and events  on Saturday 28th December, 11am-2pm.

Station Manager Paul Stellings says: “The line-up reflects the great work of community radio, involving local people and activities. It’s brilliant to have the drama and guest presenters and I hope that listeners enjoy the material created where they live.”

The full schedule will be available on the Vixen 101 website. The station broadcasts on 101.8FM, online at www.vixen101.co.uk and via the Tune-in app on smartphones. The station is run entirely by volunteers and has been on the air since 2009. It serves Market Weighton, Pocklington, Holme Upon Spalding Moor, North Cave and surrounding communities from studios at the heart of the Western Wolds.

Dementia Awareness Course 27th January 2014

Sam and Paul have sent details of a Dementia Awareness course aimed at families and carers of Dementia sufferers. The course takes place in Hedon on 27 January. Feedback from previous courses has been very positive. If you would like to attend please return the booking form to Janet directly.



Supporting Carers: Dementia Awareness Course

Aim
This funded course aims to give carers and relatives a better insight into this condition which will enable them to understand and cope with some of the behaviours and emotions of the person with dementia

The course is designed for carers and relatives who are involved in the care of people living with dementia.

Key learning points:

  • To understand what dementia is and the different types of dementia
  • To know the three stages of dementia and the signs and symptoms
  • To appreciate how and why dementia presents so differently from person to person
  • To understand what is happening to the memory function and why people with dementia often live in a past reality
  • To acquire some new skills and techniques that might help when interacting with the person with dementia and enable them to reach into this past reality
  • To be aware of treatments and therapies
  • To speak to other carers and share experiences in a supportive environment

The Dementia Awareness course will take place on:

Date
Venue
Time
Monday 27 January 2014
Hedon Library. St. Augustine's Gate, Hedon HU12 8EX     
10.00a.m to 3.00p.m.
WE WILL BREAK FOR LUNCH. Please bring a packed lunch or purchase from one of the food outlets near to the library


To book a place you must complete and return the attached booking form. If you have any queries please contact Janet McDougall Public Health Lead on 01482 391563
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:                                                  Address:                                                         Tel:

Email:

I would like to book a place on the DEMENTIA AWARENESS COURSE on MONDAY 27 JANUARY

At HEDON Library, St Augustine’s Gate, Hedon HU12 8EX
Return the form to Janet MacDougall  
Public Health Lead, 

HG115, 
H Block, 
County Hall
Cross Street, 
Beverley 
HU17 9BA

or email janet.mcdougall@eastriding.gov.uk

Thursday, 19 December 2013

Carol Singing & Village Christmas Walk

Carol Singing

At the Parish Meeting the date set for Carol Singing was 22nd December to follow after the church service at approximately 5pm.

It was agreed that the Special Care Baby Unit in York should be the chosen charity again this year.

Village Christmas Walk

Sunday 29th December. Departing Margaret Wilkinson’s House at 10.30 to The Melbourne Arms.

Children's Run Through At Church Saturday At 4.30pm

Susan has asked me to ask all the children interested in taking part in the carol service on Sunday to come to the church on Saturday at 4.30pm for a run through of what they will be doing.

Bielby Church Christmas Services

Bielby Church Christmas Services 

Sunday Dec 22 4.00 pm Carol Service

There will be refreshments after the service of teas, coffee and mince pies.

The collection will go to Martin House Hospice for poorly children.

Christmas Day No service at Bielby 

Instead: 9.15 am Christmas Day Communion service at Everingham. Everyone welcome

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Christmas Family Carol Service Sunday 22nd December 4pm

Just to let you all know that there will be a Christmas Family Carol Service at 4pm on Sunday 22nd December 2013.

If there are any children that would like to do a reading and dress up for the nativity then please contact Sara who will pass on details to Susan, John and Steve.

Email About Cold Calling

Alex has received this email and thought it was worth putting on the website.
I thought this message worth circulating to everyone as these people may decide to move on to your area next.  Please bear in mind that we do live in a relatively safe area but this doesn't mean we don't need to remain vigilant;

Four men from out of the area were reported to the police last Friday by a resident of Kirk Ella for cold calling on an elderly neighbour and trying to sell cloths. The Kirk Ella police team found that one of them was using a fake license and has a record for burglary, and believe they have come to commit burglary here. They were driving a white Astra.
 
Please can you be aware. If you see them please can you call the police on 101 and report their whereabouts.
 
Also, please remind your friends and neighbours, especially if they are elderly, not to engage with these people, or anyone like this.
 
If you live in a No Cold Calling Zone no one should knock on your door to sell anything or collect money without an appointment.
 
If you don't live in a No Cold Calling Zone you could still have a window sticker saying ‘Don’t call here’ - just let me  know if you would like some to distribute to your more elderly or vulnerable members.
 
Many burglaries are through insecure windows and doors, so again, please remind everyone to keep windows and doors locked.

Thursday, 28 November 2013

Toys, Cot Bedding & Candle Holder for Sale

Jenny Smith at Mayfield Cottage has the following for sale.

 Musical Chad Valley Tractor & Trailer with pig, sheep and hen, (unfortunately the cow is missing.) £5



Lindam Baby Door Bouncer, good condition. £10


Wall Mounted Candle Holder. £10


Bundle of Cuddly Toys, Stacking Cups & Brio Pull A Long Duck. £5
 

Noddy Bag & 3 Noddy Cars. £3


 Cot Duvet & Bumper with a lamb design in a neutral unisex colour. £15

Doll's House Wanted

Does anyone have a doll's house and figures/ furniture they are wanting rid of? Any condition will do. I am wanting one for doing some play therapy with a 9 year old girl.
Nam Prakash
07966673037

Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Utility Prices

Hi All,
In these days of high utility prices I may be able to help you reduce them if you will give me a little bit of your time to explain how this can be done.
If you want to pay less for your utilities give me a call on 01759 318077 or email pm242@btinternet.com.
Thanks
Paul Ward
The Byre

Monday, 25 November 2013

Indoor Bowling Club At Seaton Ross Looking For New Members

I would like to let the good people of Bielby know that there is an active indoor bowling club in Seaton Ross and that we are seeking new members.

Please contact Gyl on 01759 318630 if you think this may be of interest to residents.

Gyl Sampson

Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Remembrance Sunday 10th November

Remembrance Sunday 10th November
 
10.30 am - A short service in the Church.
Then a walk to the RAF Memorial at the canal.  In words, music and the 11 o'clock silence we shall pay our respects.
Collection for the Poppy Appeal

St Giles's Church Fund-Raising Events Autumn 2013

St Giles's Church Fund-Raising Events Autumn 2013
 
Soup Lunch
Pete and Val Nolton held a very successful Soup Lunch at their home, Cherry Court, on Sunday 6th October after the Harvest Festival service and are delighted to have made £244.00.
 
Annual Bielby Duck Race
We had our Annual Duck Race in the village beck on Sunday 20th October at 11 am.  There was a good turn out and the weather was kind to us - sunny and fine.  Our thanks to everyone who sold and bought ducks, served tea and coffee and donated prizes.  We must also thank all those who helped clearing the beck and getting the ducks in and out of the water on the day.  We raised a grand total of £291.00.
 
Prizes and Winners:
Race 1: Chocolates and Wine - Sandra Johnson (No 100)
Race 2: Box of Vegetables - Ian Simpson (No 101)
Race 3: Butcher's Voucher - Julie Kerry (No 40)
Race 4: Boot's Gift Box - Mike Craven (No 81)
Race 5: Langlands Garden Voucher - Alicia Reed (No 20)
Race 6: Children's Books - Ava Ward (No 8) 
 
Whist Drive
A Whist Drive was held on Friday 1st November in the barn at Christine and Richard Coe's.   We had eight and a half tables and everyone enjoyed a 'Pie & Pea' supper.  Lovely to see some new faces - and hope to see you all again at our next one.  We made £145.00.
 
A big "Thank You" goes to everyone for kindly supporting Bielby church through another year.  We may currently not have a vicar, but we still have bills!

Anna Shannon Concert 16th November

Tickets still available but going fast! As of Wednesday there were 15 tickets left for Saturday's concert in the church with Anna Shannon, starts 7.30, in aid of CRUSE!

Email Ian to secure a ticket iwsimpson@hotmail.com or phone 318328.

Bielby Music Festival Autumn Concert Anna Shannon Award winning songwriter.

Saturday 16th November 7.30pm to 9.15pm

Admission: £10 at St. Giles Church Bielby

Proceeds to CRUSE

Refreshments served in short interval

Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Grapes For Harvesting

Alex and Vince have a ripe grape vine so if anyone likes making wine in the village, they have a vine full of ripe black grapes going spare if anyone wants to harvest them for a perfect "chateau Bielby" - perhaps in return for a wee tot of the finished produce! Please let Alex know if interested.

Alex asked me to mention this just over a week ago so I hope that the grapes are still ok! I've just been in touch with Alex and you will need to hurry if you want to harvest them as they have reached their best and are on the turn!

Bus Timetable


Possible Timetable – Comments?
Monday to Saturday


Days:  M-F            Mondays to Fridays                                    Sat            Saturdays                  WS            Wednesdays and Saturdays                  
TuTh            Tuesdays and Thursdays                  W            Wednesdays

Operators:            EYMS            East Yorkshire Motor Services                                              TDYK            Transdev York

NOTES:
We have made a number of changes following our meeting at Seaton Ross at the end of September and these are summarised below:
  1. The early morning service is the current service, but we are currently discussing with City of York Council about the provision of the Monday to Friday 0635 Pocklington to York journey. The meeting’s aspiration to have a later arrival time in York will be part of our discussion.
  2. The journey operates on Wednesdays & Saturdays and has been re-timed to leave Pocklington at 0930 (bus pass request).
  3. The journey operates on Tuesdays & Thursdays and is re-timed to leave Pocklington at 1230. The journey is extended to York to give an afternoon service into York, for people to return on the 1740 X36 service. This will give 3hours and 46mins in York.
  4. The journey operates Tuesdays & Thursdays, but is otherwise unchanged.
  5. The journey operates on Wednesdays. We have tried to give as much time in York as possible, but the bus needs to be back at Woldgate College for 1525. Travelling in on the 0930 from Pocklington will give 2hours and 56mins in York.
  6. The journey is retimed from 1440 to 1450, but is otherwise unchanged.
  7. This journey is unchanged. 
If you have any comments please send them to Paul by 8th November. Thanks.

Minutes Of Parish Meeting 21st October 2013


Minutes of the Bielby Parish Meeting held on Monday 21st October 2013
At the College Arms, Bielby
(by kind permission of Jean and Mike McDougall)

1.      Apologies for absence

Graham & Julie Tew, Christine Coe, Sara Ridsdale, John Los. There were 20 people present.

2.      Minutes of the last meeting

3.      Matters arising from the last minutes

We would like to extend our thanks to Rachael Reed for the great job she has done over the last 5 years as the Parish Secretary and welcome Sam Preston who has taken over from Rachael.

4.               Planning applications and outcomes

Applications were read out.

a     Errection of a garage at Gale Carr Farm - approved
b     Errection of a wind turbine at Gale Carr Farm – approved
c     Errection of a dwelling at Land North of Sandiacre, Mill Lane - awaiting decision

d     Wind turbine application at Land South of Rytham Gates, Seaton Ross – awaiting decision
e     Application of certificate of Lawful Development at Fragaria Main St – awaiting decision
f     Application for certificate of Lawful Development at Oak Bridge Farm –
      Certificate to be issued


Sam was also sent information regarding a Proposed single wind turbine at Skylark Farm, Blamire Lane, Everingham

5.      Purchase of a tent and storage bags

This year Bielby Village Festival purchased, using Festival Funds, a new tent (the stage tent) – Ian Simpson proposed that the village buy the tent from the festival thereby making it available for the village to use all year round instead of just for the festival. The cost of the tent was £687.85.

It was also suggested by Ian that the village bought some proper storage bags for the tent poles as the cardboard boxes that the poles came in get easily damaged. The storage bags are £6.99 each
, with 10 being required, making the potential purchase total £69.90.

Paul Kerry seconded the proposal and the meeting agreed.

The proceeds from the sale of the tent will then be given to Marie Curie (as with the other festival proceeds) for care in the local community.

6.      Village Facility Update

A questionnaire was circulated earlier in the year to find out whether the village wanted a meeting facility. The results from the questionnaire were a resounding no. Thank you to all of the people who filled in the questionnaire and also to the committee and Chris Emptage for their work involved.

7.                              Increase in Village Meetings

The chairman suggested that it might be a good idea to increase, per year, the number of meetings that we hold. There are times when he needs to make decisions on matters arising outside meeting times. It was also suggested that it would allow the community to be more informed on planning applications.

The meeting agreed and Val Nolton suggested that instead of holding a normal meeting and the AGM on the same evening in April that we instead split these 2 up and have the meetings as follows:

End January             Bielby Parish Meeting
End April             Bielby Parish meeting AGM
End September            Bielby Parish Meeting

Richard Coe seconded.


As a result of the planning application feedback it was suggested that all planning applications be put on to the Bielby Blog from now on.

8.                              Road Update

The chairman attended another meeting regarding the state of our roads. Nigel Layton (Director of Environment and Neighborhood Services at ERYC) also attended along with our MP. The results of a HGV survey have concluded that there is an even distribution of heavy goods vehicles with 98% of them going to and from local businesses.

The tender for the Recycling contract was reviewed in early October and we will know in January whether or not the Composting Site at Melbourne has another 10 year term.

Re traffic calming measures - recently two speeding indicators have been positioned in the village – the results may allow us to get a grant for flashing 30 MPH signs at both ends of the village. We await the research outcome.

9.                              Bus Update

East Yorkshire Bus service has confirmed that the subsidy is not covering costs, though they want to continue to run the service they may need to reschedule destinations and times to maximize use.

10.                          Meeting with the Police Commissioner

Members of Melbourne Parish have asked their council to seek an open meeting with the Police Commissioner Matthew Grove. We and other local parishes have been invited to come along to the meeting.

One or two people expressed an interest so Sam will contact Melbourne Parish to register our interest and then advise on the proposed date for the meeting.


11.                          Plaque for the tree planted in Spring

Val Nolton proposed that the tree planted on Gale Carr Lane to Commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee should have a plaque. Richard Coe, very kindly, agreed to organize this. There were no objections and Jenny Ward seconded.

12.                          Carol Singing

Date set for 22nd December to follow after the church service at approximately 5pm.

It was agreed that the Special Care Baby Unit in York should be the chosen charity again this year.

13.                          A.O.B.

a: Emergency Planning
East Riding Council has come up with a much simpler format and template to allow Parishes to draw up their own Emergency Plan.

It was agreed that for such a small, close community it wasn’t necessary at present.

b: Bielby Beck

Neil Readman has noticed that the foliage on the beck bank has started to get quite high again and had proposed that we need to annually maintain things.

There have been significant budget cuts within the Environment Agency which in turn will affect any future maintenance on Bielby Beck. Neil has been advised that we should contact the Internal Drainage Board to ask that they adopt the Beck with a view to them assisting with routine maintenance.

Neil also proposed that, this year, we keep the bank in good order and that he should be able to use up to £1000 of parish funds to do this. Should additional funds be required Neil shall consult again with the Parish.

There were no objections and Peter Youngseconded.

c: Meeting Venues

Jean and Mike have been extremely kind in allowing us to use the pub as a meeting place for the Bielby Parish Meetings but it was agreed that we should start using the church in future. We would like to thank Jean and Mike for their very kind hospitality over the years.

d: Parish Precept
It was proposed by Stephen Ridsdale and seconded by Richard Coe that the Precept should remain the same as last year – the meeting agreed.

e: Village Christmas Walk

Richard Coe agreed to organize the post Christmas walk on Sunday 29th December. Departing Margaret Wilkinson’s House at 10.30 to The Melbourne Arms.

f: Night Out

Ian Simpson has booked Anna Shannon (singer/ songwriter) to perform on Saturday 16th November at 7.30pm at the church. She will be singing two 45 minute sets, tickets are £10 each, include refreshments, and are available from Ian. Money raised will go to Cruse Bereavement Care.

g: Village Crockery & Cutlery

Val Nolton proposed that we should buy some dinner plates, soup bowls and cutlery for the village to use at various events which could be made available for the villagers to hire. A budget of £250/ £300 was agreed and seconded by Neil Readman. Val to organise purchase of said items.

h: Village Christmas Meal

The date for the village Christmas meal is Sunday 15th December at Mr Chu’s, Hayton; 7pm start. Banquet meal (vegetarian option available), £20 per head. If you would like to go please let Paul Kerry know by 16th November.

As there was no other business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.

Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Harvest Festival Well Attended

It was lovely to see so many at the harvest festival.

 
Thanks to all those who helped to organise the service and to the children who did art work and took part in the service. Well done Lucy, Tilly, Alicia, Rose, Matthew, Beatrice, Lilia, Hettie, Lara, Jamie, Isabel and  Thomas.

 
Special thanks to Matthew who did a bible reading and Lilia who read a harvest prayer.
 
Thanks to Pete and Val for hosting a harvest lunch after the service to raise funds for the church.

Photos and Results Of The Friendly Cricket Match With Everingham

There was a friendly cricket match between Bielby and Everingham on Sunday 21st July at Bubwith. 

 
 The Team!

 
 Stephen in bat!
Players and spectators all had a great time.

Beatrice cheering on the team!

 Thomas exhausted by the excitement!

Everingham 102 for 9 wickets.

Everingham bowled a few overs each and well done to all.

Bielby 103 for 7 wickets.

Zac Los 27 not out.
Neil Readman 18 not out.
Rory Stephenson 13 not out.

A successful cricket season, winning 3 out of 4 matches, so well done Bielby Cricket team and we look forward to the 2014 cricket season!

Thanks to all the support over the season as well.

Sunday, 27 October 2013

Bielby Village Christmas Meal

The Bielby Village Christmas Meal will this year be at Mr Chus Chinese Restaurant at The Plough Inn at Hayton on Sunday 15th December 2013 at 7pm. If you wish to get there from 6ish for pre dinner drinks and chat then that's great.

Everyone welcome, the more the merrier!

The meal will be a 3 course banquet which includes a starter, second course and main meal. A vegetarian option is available. £20 per person. You can check out Mr Chu's website for a sample banquet menu.

There is a separate dance floor for anyone who has the energy to dance the night way after a Chinese banquet!

Confirmation and payment to Paul Kerry by Saturday 16th November. Cash only please as cheques will not be accepted. To Paul Kerry at Bowcroft Cottage, tel 318811.

There are limited places so please book early.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Anna Shannon Concert 16th November At St Giles Church

Bielby Autumn Music Festival Season starts!

On Saturday November 16th, Anna Shannon will be performing some of her songs in a concert at Bielby Church at 7.30pm ( 2 X 45 minute sets with a short break for refreshments).

Some of you may have heard of Anna, she is based in Scarborough and has not only won competitions with her songs, but has performed at major venues throughout the UK.

Check her website on http://www.annashannon.co.uk/

Tickets will be on sale shortly, priced at £10. (There will be a limit of 50 tickets only)

Proceeds of this concert will go to CRUSE ( local charity for bereavement counselling).

To book a ticket, email Ian Simpson on iwsimpson@hotmail.com (because ticket numbers are limited, I will need payment beforehand to secure a ticket!)

I will send you all a reminder in a few weeks!

But remember to put the date in your diary!
Ian

Bielby Music Festival 2013 A Huge Success

Bielby Music Festival "The Picnic" as most of you are aware the festival was a huge success, and we were able to give Marie Curie Cancer Care a cheque for £650. Other donations include £200 from The Gait Inn Millington, £200 from Richard Longthorne, Howden, £50 from Mr Habbershaw, Bielby, and not forgetting "At your Convenience" rented us our loos at half price! The Marie Curie Fundraising committee also made a few hundred pounds on teas, guess the Teddy's name and the barbeque! Our outgoings were higher this year, due to the increased cost of the bands, stage lighting, PA hire and engineer costs, and so on, but overall we covered our costs and made a decent donation to Marie Curie Cancer Care. So thank you to all involved, (especially Jed and Stacey for loan of their field, and the intrepid tent erection team. Ian & Richard

Photos of the Jubilee Tree Planting

The jubilee tree planting took place on Sunday 3rd March 2013. The tree was planted down Gale Carr Lane.

Geoff did the honours and planted the tree.


There was a small turn out of villagers to mark the occasion.


Thanks once again to Paul K for all his hard work in organising this and getting the area ready for the tree planting, he worked very hard and has made the area look very nice.


We are hoping to put a plaque near the tree so anyone walking the public footpath will know that this tree was planted to commemorate the Queen's diamond jubilee.

Monday, 7 October 2013

Notes From Roads Meeting 12th August 2013

Notes of a Roads meeting held on 12 August 2013 at Seaton Ross Village Hall.

Nigel Leighton talked us through the HGV survey done by the ERYC in our area. It found that there was a fairly even distribution of HGVs using the routes in the area and 98% of the vehicles were delivering to or attending farms or businesses in the area ie. travelling the routes for access, which can be worked out from how long the journeys took. Number plate recognition was used. EYRC does not want to divert traffic to create another problem in another village.

Highways want to improve the roads where most local HGVs go. Their budget is £6-700,000 to do the rest of Ash Lane which will take about 10 weeks. There will be further phases to Rythamgate and Scamland. There will be some work in Everingham using the Ash Lane planings eg. c10 passing places including the Thorpe le Street road. Thorpe le Street should not be made too good or more lorries will use it and there is no money for a major upgrade there.

The tenders for recycling?? will be made in early October with contracts for 10 years. They will know in January 2014 whether Kemps has the contract again and can then talk with them about vehicle movements. Kemps is only a small proportion of the HGVs so even if they don’t get the contract again the roads still need doing.

Greg Knight asked 2 questions: (1) Was best environmental practice included as part of the tender requirement – Nigel explained that this could not be included. (2) If the road is widened then lorries will speed and should there be speed controls eg. flashing lights. This can be done in conjunction with the parish councils. In fact it is usually the locals who speed.

Nigel than asked if there were further concerns about roads in the area and the following were raised
1. Signage off the A1079 will be reviewed to discourage non-local HGVs. HGV signs on the A1079 at Bielby and Thorpe-le-Street will be re-sited.
2. The survey can be done again when Ash Lane is completed to see if any HGV movements are affected, though surveys are not cheap.
3. Nigel will send out more details from the existing survey.
4. John asked about safety issues in Everingham. Nigel agreed to put speeding indicators on the road to see what speeds are and whether there is a problem. In fact he will do this in all the villages. John Harland will work out where to put them and confirm this with us before going ahead.
5. Speed reactive signs are done in partnership with the parish councils. Melbourne has recently had two erected. Money can be borrowed from the Public Works Loans Board for the signs. The Parish Grant will not fund them. The signs are £3000 each.
6. Thornton to Allerthorpe Common road – passing places are a problem and there are no signs. The Forestry Commission needs to look at roadside parking and passing so EYRC will contact them.
7. John Scott-Whiteley reported that Hargreaves drove better after he talked with their manager. It was suggested that parish councils wrote to companies asking for improvements and if nothing was done to ask their MP to write on House of Commons paper.
8. A1079 drainage is poor near the Montessori School
9. Southfield Lane Seaton Ross is cracking in places, there are large holes at side of road and the lettering has worn off the Passing place notices.
10. Melbourne – the signage is in the wrong place for the B1228 and lorries overshoot.
11. Problem of overhanging hedges hiding road signs
12. Cross roads at Ash Lane and B1228 – for some reason traffic goes straight on instead of stopping at the Give Way sign and there have been a number of serious accidents. Can any improvements be made to signage?

Parish Meeting 21st October 2013

Bielby Parish Meeting 21st October 2013

 Just to let you know that the BIELBY PARISH MEETING will take place on Monday 21st October 2013.

 All resident electors of Bielby Parish are invited to attend the meeting to be held on the above date at 7.30pm at the College Arms (by kind permission of Jean and Mike McDougall).

The agenda is as follows;
AGENDA
1. Apologies for absence
2. Minutes of the last meeting held on Monday 29th April 2013
3. Matters arising from the minutes
4. Planning applications and outcomes since the last meeting
5. Purchase of a tent and storage bags
6. Village facility update
7. Increase in meetings
8. Road update
9. Bus update
10. Meeting with Police Commissioner
11. Plaque for the tree planted last autumn
12. Carol Singing
13. A.O.B.

If you wish to discuss any of these issues then we look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Duck Race Sunday 20th October

 Duck Race Sunday 20th October 11am at Mill Bridge, down Mill Lane.



Ducks £2 each from Richard and Christine 318314.

Prizes: Langlands Voucher, Wine, Boots Gift Set, Butchers Voucher, Box & Children's Book.

Another lovely family event, we look forward to seeing you all there.

Wanted Home for Horse

We are currently looking for a new home for our horse; does anyone in the village have or know of grazing and a stable that we could rent out?

Brandy is currently recovering from an injury, so we would like to move him closer to home so we can keep an eye on him. Brandy is a 14.2, 14yr old bay gelding.

Although he is friendly towards humans, he can be quite dominant towards other horses, therefore would need to be separated from other horses and ponies.

If you can help us out please contact Helen and Shauna on 01759318762 or email adamuhelen@aol.com

Thank you everyone! Helen Tucker

Calendar For Christmas In Aid Of Church Funds

Susan Smith is putting together a calendar of village scenes and events for sale at Christmas in aid of church funds. While she has some scenes of Bielby she would like pictures of village events to include in it. If you have any recent pictures of events like the produce show, the music festival, the Duck race that you would be willing to share, please could you email them as JPEGs to sjmurant1@gmail.com. Thanks in advance. Susan Smith and St Giles’s, PCC.

Friday, 27 September 2013

Local Bus Services

Paul attended a meeting on the bus service's around our villages. EYMS, the service providers are asking residents what they want from a bus service. If anybody has any suggestions, opinions on this matter please let me have them. To assist you they want to know things like: What destinations do you want? What times? Where do you want the buses to go, ie do you want to go straight to York or to Pocklington to catch a bus to York etc. Any other suggestions welcome. The reason for this consultation is that in 2013/14 the present timetable will cost £57,111 and will carry an estimated 5,086 passengers. This gives a subsidy per passenger journey of £11.23. Nearly 1800 of those passenger journeys are on the Tuesday only 196 service from Aughton to York. EYMS benchmark figure for representing value for money is £3.50 per passenger journey. Please let Paul have any comments by Friday 19th October.
Paul's email is pm242@btinternet.com
Thanks Paul Ward

Monday, 23 September 2013

Harvest Festival Family Service Sunday 6th October 2013

Just wanted to let you know that there will be a Harvest Festival Family Service at the church on Sunday 6th October at 10.30am.

If any children in the village would like to do a harvest picture and a banner flag then please get in touch with Sara.

Everyone welcome. Hope to see you all there.

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Parish Meeting 21st October 2013

The next Parish Meeting will be on the 21st October. If anyone has any agenda items please let Sam have them by 7th October. Thanks.

Sunday, 1 September 2013

Planning Application Received

Sam, the parish clerk has received another planning application which you can find out more about on the village notice board or by visiting the East Riding Council Website at the link below.
http://eastriding.gov.uk/newpublicaccess/ (then search for Bielby)

Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Bielby Music Festival A Great Success

Many thanks to all the volunteers who helped set up before and clean up afterwards, this was undoubtedly our best festival yet and it looks like we have raised more than £1000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care.

We will let you know the exact amount when all the bills have been paid.

A big thank you to Jed and Stacey for allowing us to use their field for the festival.

Ian and Richard.

Sunday, 25 August 2013

Tony Is Running Great North Run For Charity

On September 15th I am running the Great North run on behalf of the Variety Childrens Charity.

This is a fantastic charity which does a tremendous amount of work for sick, disabled and disadvantaged children and is famous for Sunshine coaches. They also provide wheelchairs, specialised equipment and run innovative, exciting events for the children to enhance their lives.

The Great North run is one of the most challenging half marathons and is a distance I have never run in my life, so to say I am nervous/concerned is an understatement!!! My picture is post the Balmoral 10k with my sons Sam and Josh, along with my brother Chris who is also doing this run. It took me several days to recover and that was only just over 6 miles!

I appreciate any amount you can give, by following the link below, to support the Variety charity and my efforts to survive the Great North Run.

Thanks.

Tony,

http://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Britton

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Market Weighton Canal & River Foulness Action Plan Meeting

Sam has been sent info re encouraging community involvement in the development of a practical action plan for the Market Weighton Canal and River Foulness.

A meeting was held on 26th June and the notes are as follows. A further meeting will take place on Thursday, 29 August, 6.00 pm at Gilberdyke War Memorial Hall to identify the initial priorities within the action plan, review funding opportunities for those priorities and set up a project steering group. To enable catering requirements to be confirmed could you please let Sam know, by Tuesday, 27 August, if you would like to attend the meeting.
Market Weighton Canal & River Foulness Action Plan Meeting 26th June 2013. 18.00 – 20.00, Holme-On-Spalding-Moor Village Hall. Action Notes.

1. Welcome and Introductions. GS welcomed attendees and invited everyone to introduce themselves. The apologies listed above were noted.

2. Reintroduction of the Market Weighton Canal & River Foulness Action Plan (the Action Plan). GS reintroduced the Action Plan. GS emphasised that the Market Weighton Canal and the River Foulness have been treated as two linked, but separate, entities within the Action Plan. GS highlighted the necessity of maintaining the drainage function of the Market Weighton Canal. MB noted surprise at anglers not being represented within the meeting. Maps were distributed and it was noted that legends on the maps were indicative only.

3. Funding Options. RA introduced herself and distributed a hand out of funding options (please see attached). RA explained the various funding sources which have been matched to the five themes identified within the Action Plan. RA clarified the role of the external funding team as a facilitator; as such they do not have the capacity to write funding bids. However they are able to act as a critical friend and support groups in the process of funding applications. RA and GS noted that it would be best to first identify a clear vision and then to seek funding opportunities and community engagement once the focus is clarified.

4. Identification of Priorities. GS invited each member of the group to identify their priority in turn around the table. GS and JC summarised the discussion as: o A need to engage landowners, once a vision and priorities have been defined; o A desire for connectivity and the reinstating of footpaths; o A need to have all the relevant parish councils engaged.

5. Next Meeting. Thursday 29th August, 6pm-8pm at Gilberdyke Village Hall.

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Volunteers Needed For Bielby Music Festival Set Up

Bielby Music festival. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Please would anyone wishing to help put up the tents on the festival field turn up at Ivy House at 10.00am Saturday morning. We will need about 8 to 10 people.

Also make a note, because we will be taking the tents down on Monday morning at 10.00am and litter picking the field, and will need a similar, if not more, number of people.

Using volunteers means we can maximise the money we give to our chosen charity, this year being Marie Curie Cancer Care. So your volunteering is a donation in kind to this worthy cause.

A reminder to people coming to the festival to come promptly to hear Barton Community Brass Band play at 3pm.

We have invested in a new tent for the stage this year and have bought some lights, so we are hoping to attract a large crowd to try and offset this investment, bring your friends!

Also to bring warm clothes for the evening!

Ian Simpson and Richard Coe.

Monday, 5 August 2013

Produce Show Entry Form 2013

24th Bielby Produce Show will be held on Saturday 10th August 2013
Entry Form

NAME……………………………………………

ADDRESS ……………………………………...……………………………………………………

AGE (Children Only) …………………………

Alongside each class in which you are entering put the number of exhibits you will enter.
Example:
If you are entering two cucumbers, your form will say:
5) 1 Cucumber             2
If you are entering one lot of sweet peas, your form will say:
23) 6 Sweet Peas            1
Please hand in your form to Janet at her house on Friday 9th August between 6 O’Clock  and 8 O’Clock in the evening.

 VEGETABLES (Trophy donated by Mr & Mrs P Thomas)
  
1) 5 Radish                     No. of Exhibits =………

2) 1 Cabbage                     No. of Exhibits =………

3) 1 Cauliflower                No. of Exhibits =………

4) 3 Tomatoes                No. of Exhibits =………

5) 1 Cucumber                No. of Exhibits =………

6) 4 Carrots with Tops            No. of Exhibits =………

7) 8 Raspberries on a Small Plate        No. of Exhibits =………

8) 1 Longest Stick of Rhubarb with Leaf    No. of Exhibits =………

9) 5 Pods of Peas                No. of Exhibits =………

10) 5 Pods of Broad Beans            No. of Exhibits =………

11) 3 Red Beet With Tops            No. of Exhibits =………

12) 3 Potatoes                No. of Exhibits =………

13) 1 Lettuce                    No. of Exhibits =………

14) 5 Runner Beans                No. of Exhibits =………

15) 3 Onions Grown from Seed        No. of Exhibits =………

16) 3 Onions Grown from Sets        No. of Exhibits =………

17) 5 French/Dwarf Beans            No. of Exhibits =………

18) Any Vegetable  or Fruit  not listed    No. of Exhibits =………

 FLOWERS (Trophy donated by Mr & Mrs H Ridsdale)

19) 4 Cornflowers                    No. of Exhibits =………

20) 1 Rose                        No. of Exhibits =………

21) 1 Sunflower in Vase                No. of Exhibits =………

22)  6 Sweet Peas                    No. of Exhibits =………

23) 4 Pansies                        No. of Exhibits =………

24) Best Scented Rose                No. of Exhibits =………

25) Vase of Mixed Garden Flowers        No. of Exhibits =………

26) 1 House Plant (Flower)                No. of Exhibits =………

27) 3 Dahlias                        No. of Exhibits =………

28) 1 Tallest Thistle                    No. of Exhibits =………

FLOWER ARRANGEMENT (Trophy donated by John & Barbara Peel)


29) Arrangement using a Recycled Container     No. of Exhibits =………

30) Ladies Buttonhole                No. of Exhibits =………

31) Arrangement using Only Foliage            No. of Exhibits =………

32) Flowers in an Unusual Container        No. of Exhibits =………

33) A Small Table Arrangement using a Candle    No. of Exhibits =………

34) A Harvest Arrangement        No. of Exhibits =………

COOKERY (Trophy donated by Mr J. R. Hall)


35) 3 Jam Tarts                    No. of Exhibits =………  
          
36)  Bread Loaf                    No. of Exhibits =………

37) 3 Biscuits                        No. of Exhibits =………

38) 3 Cheese Scones                    No. of Exhibits =………
        
39) Saucer Apple Pie                No. of Exhibits =………
       
40) 3 Pieces of Flapjack                No. of Exhibits =………

41) 3 Butterfly Buns                    No. of Exhibits =………  
     
42) Fruit Loaf                    No. of Exhibits =………

43) 3 Fruit Scones                    No. of Exhibits =………  
                  
44) Victoria Sandwich  (Filled)            No. of Exhibits =………

PRODUCE (Trophy donated by Mr & Mrs J Layton)


45) Jar of Raspberry Jam                No. of Exhibits =………
  
46) Jar of Strawberry Jam                No. of Exhibits =………

47) Jar of any other Jam                No. of Exhibits =………

48) Jar of Lemon Curd                No. of Exhibits =………

49) Jar of Chutney                No. of Exhibits =………

50) Jar of Pickles—Any Variety        No. of Exhibits =………
   
51) 6 Eggs                    No. of Exhibits =………

ARTS & CRAFTS (Trophy donated by Mr & Mrs N Jaques)

52) Embroidery/Tapestry Article        No. of Exhibits =………

53) Home Made Garment            No. of Exhibits =………

54) Painting/Picture    No. of Exhibits =………

55) Hand Knitted Item    No. of Exhibits =………


56) Garden In  A Tray    No. of Exhibits =………

57) Object Made from Wood        No. of Exhibits =………



58) Any Other Hand Made Object       No. of Exhibits =………

PHOTOGRAPHY (Trophy donated by Mr & Mrs G Jones)

59) Photography-Landscape*        No. of Exhibits =………

60) Photography-Farming Life*        No. of Exhibits =………

61) Photography-Flowers or Nature*    No. of Exhibits =………

62) Photography-Family Fun*        No. of Exhibits =………

63) Photography-Weather*     No. of Exhibits =………

64) Photography-Bielby Scene*        No. of Exhibits =………

*Photographs to be taken by Exhibitor.   

CHILDREN’S CLASSES (Trophy donated by Helen Todd  for the Best Entry)


5 and Under Age Group

65) Decorated Egg                 No. of Exhibits =………

66) A Coloured Picture            No. of Exhibits =………

67) A Face On A Plate             No. of Exhibits =………

6—12 Age Group


68) A Coloured Picture             No. of Exhibits =………

69) Animal made from a Vegetable     No. of Exhibits =………

70) Handicraft or Model             No. of Exhibits =………

71) Photograph                 No. of Exhibits =………

Please note 12 to 16 year olds can now enter the adult categories.

Please hand in your form to Janet's at her house on Friday 9th August between 6 O’Clock and 8 O’Clock in the evening.

All you have to do is bring your exhibits and entry monies on the Saturday Morning.
The Stewards will be ready with your exhibit labels.

REMEMBER
Each Exhibitor needs his/her own entry form. More forms are available from Sara. Feel free to print of this list if you misplace your entry form. If you misplace your form, or cannot enter in advance, you can still enter on the day.

Just bring your entries and potato plant and bucket to St Giles’ Church on Saturday 10th August from 9.30—11.00am (Prompt).

The organisers will do the rest.

ENTRIES CLOSE  AT 11 O’CLOCK PROMPT.

We look forward to seeing you and your exhibits at the 24th Annual Bielby Produce Show.

 The committee also wanted to let you know that there will be a few other activities going on during the afternoon.

  • Guess The Weight Of The Cake
  • A Quiz
  • Raffle
  • Cake & Book Stall
We look forward to seeing your produce show entries and bucket of spuds!

Community Theatre Project Pocklington

Tony at Vixen 101 has sent the following info.

COMMUNITY THEATRE PROJECT ANNOUNCED FOR POCKLINGTON

People in Pocklington and surrounding areas are being invited to be part of a special festival in September with activities cropping up at numerous different venues across the town.

The Little Festival Of Everything, or #LittleFest for short, is a free festival of performance. It is part of a new, Arts Council-backed project being organised by York Theatre Royal in conjunction with local residents and venues in East and North Yorkshire.

On Our Turf is a two-year long project about bringing people together, working and imagining together, and about how people animate towns and communities.

The first event, #LittleFest on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th September, will be full of performance, storytelling, comedy, theatre, photography, music, treasure hunts, time machines, knitting, choirs, buskers, markets, film, bands, crafts, arts, food, drinks and adventures. Activities will crop up in cafes, restaurants, shops, doorways, alleyways, market squares, fish & chip shops, hairdressers, tea shops, pubs, car parks, churches, on windows and pavements, from 11am. The Sunday afternoon of the festival will be vintage-themed to fit in with the Friends of Pocklington Arts Centre’s Vintage Fair on West Green. Pocklington is taking part of this initiative along with Selby, Easingwold, York and Helmsley.

Alex Wright from the York Theatre Royal says: “There are superb people in each of these towns working to organise, programme, structure and create the festivals. There are superb artists from near and far churning their imaginations so we can play with the products. There a superb businesses, spaces, places and people in each town who will host all the performances. But we need more superb people.”

One of the volunteers, Janet Farmer from the Pocklington Arts Centre, says: “We need people to come and be a key part in the beginning of something very special. They will be required to usher, to point people in the right direction, to give out maps and leaflets, to help set things up and take things down. Residents have been meeting weekly to discuss the artistes to be invited to #LittleFest. It’s fascinating because it is different, bringing theatre and performance into the community.”

The #LittleFest event precedes a specially-produced drama production which is being planned in Pocklington in February.

For further information on #LittleFest, please email pocklington@onourturf.co.uk or contact the Pocklington Arts Centre.

Volunteers Needed For Produce Show Preparation

The 24th Bielby Produce Show will be held on Saturday 10th August 2013.

We are looking for volunteers to help put up the marquees in the church grounds on Thursday 8th August from 6pm.

We may also need some helpers on the Friday to put the tables into place and the cloths on the tables ready for the exhibits. We have a plan of the layout from last year so hopefully this is not too difficult a job!

Also Friday evening we may need help putting up the signing in & teas and coffee marquee if we haven't got it put up on the Thursday evening.

Let us know if you can help on the Thursday or Friday. Committee members include Richard and Christine, Janet, Graham, Peter Y, Jenny S. Alex, Mel and me (Sara). Thanks in advance.

Bucket Of Spuds Competition Info

The Bucket O' Spuds competition will be judged on Bielby Produce Show day (Saturday 10th August 2013).

Please bring your potato plant, soil and bucket down to the show between 9.30am and 11am.

You may cut the tops off the plant to make it easier for bringing down to the show.

Do not dig up your potatoes prior to bringing them down to the show, the show organisers will dig up your potatoes and dispose of the soil so they can weigh your spuds!

Please label your bucket with your full name and bring a carrier bag for your potatoes.

The bucket will be kept by the show for next year’s competition but you will be able to take your bag of spuds home to enjoy the fruits of your labour!

There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize for the greatest weight of potatoes.

Prize money is as follows:
1st Prize £20
2nd Prize £10
3rd Prize £5

We look forward to seeing your potatoes on the day and we hope that you have enjoyed growing your spuds! Good luck everyone!

Village Facility Questionnaire Results

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to fill out the questionnaires re the village facility.

Here are the results:
(Click on the photo to enlarge. If you are reading this via email but you can't see the photo in the email then click through to the website and you can hopefully see it there. Fingers crossed it works second time round!)

As you can see the majority did not want a village facility so we will be respecting the views of the majority and not continuing to pursue the idea of a village facility.

Thursday, 1 August 2013

Stoneleigh Open Afternoon Great Success

Stoneleigh staff and residents would just like to thank everyone who supported the open afternoon last Saturday.

They have currently raised £600 for their chosen charities from admission, tombola, cake and plant stall etc.

It was a lovely afternoon and the weather was kind. Bolt the Spaniel from the Hearing Dogs was a great hit.

Thanks again to all who supported the event.

Just to say that there are still some plants for sale so if anyone is interested then call round to Stoneleigh and have a look at the plants for sale.

Minutes Of Last Flood Liaison Meeting

Here are the minutes of the last Flood Liaison meeting.

FLOOD LIAISON GROUP
31 MAY 2013


            The meeting was held at County Hall, Beverley.






89        INTRODUCTION - The Chairman welcomed delegates to the meeting and emphasised the need to keep to timescale in order to allow representatives with questions the opportunity to ask them.



90        CATCHMENT BASED APPROACH TO LOCAL FLOOD RISK MANAGEMENT - An explanation was given to the Council’s catchment based approach to Local Flood Risk Management and its significance.  A catchment area was a watershed or river basin which was defined by terminal discharge points and was a discrete geographical area.  Within the East Riding area there were 15 catchment areas such as Hornsea Mere which was bounded on the northwest and south by ridges and dispersed water through a controlled structure into the North Sea.  There were also much more complex catchment arrangements such as those in the Hull and Haltemprice area where water from the east Wolds flowed into the City of Hull and discharged via a sewer into the estuary.  As a result of the topography it was necessary for manned intervention in the form of pumping to assist this process.



            The catchment methodology had been adopted as it was compatible with environmental legislation, was used in statutory reporting requirements, was compatible with farming practices and water company investment plans and was used within local emergency flood plans.  It was also useful as a mechanism for monitoring pollution and its control.



            It also mirrored the approach adopted nationally and supported the production of local flood risk management strategies which were a legal requirement.  This documentation would be developed from the 15 catchment based models and would inform the Local Flood Risk Investment Plan.



91         RIVER HULL ADVISORY GROUP - The River Hull Valley comprised 600 square miles and included the artificial catchment of Holderness Drain.  There was a population of approximately 360,000 people in this area of which 100,000 were at some degree of flood risk.  Over the years the River Hull had been canalised or dyked.  In places the land was below sea level.  In 2004 the Government issued its guidelines on making space for water however this had not addressed rural areas.  The river strategy had been produced by the Environment Agency in order to create a mechanism for determining investment and had been based on computer modelling utilising river flooding data however this output had been challenged as it was considered the output results were erroneous.  This was based on the belief that the assumptions used in the modelling exercise were incorrect as they may have neglected other sources of flooding.



            As a result the Environment Agency had agreed to suspend the adoption of the Plan and an Advisory Group had been set up to look at the issue further.  This Group included representation from MPs, councillors and professional officers, the Environment Agency and an internal drainage board and was also looking to involve community groups.  The Group would advise the Project Board which was made up of representatives from professional bodies such as internal drainage boards and local authorities to assist in the production of an evidence based investment plan.



            All local, national and regional processes would feed into this work with a caveat that it would not divert from wider strategic issues.  Overall the process had brought immense strength in the way the partners had worked together and remained committed to joint progress.



·        It was confirmed that there was heavy officer input at this stage and work was ongoing with officers from both East Riding and Hull City Councils.  Officers from both authorities were leading on various projects and there was perceived to be no division of interest and that schemes were interlinked.  At this stage no real consideration had been given to funding matters in terms of future funding allocations but it was recognised that it was crucial that the two authorities continued to work together as water was boundary ignorant.



·        The prominent benefit of much of this work was for the East Riding area but it was recognised that this would impact beneficially on Hull.  The key schemes from a Hull perspective were those at Cottingham and Willerby areas.



·        It was confirmed that as part of the work real flood events were considered.  Prior to 2007 the Council did not have the technology to fully support assessments however since that point this had improved and now there was a good level of verification available.  In terms of a model this would be used elsewhere if appropriate.



·        The Environment Agency was keen to be involved to find a jointly agreed decision in terms of the River Hull Valley Strategy.  The concern was not about administrative boundaries but flooding and the modelling work being undertaken was aimed at demonstrating the reality.



·        It was confirmed that survey and assessment work undertaken and academic studies were considered as part of this process.



·        Internal drainage boards would be fully represented on the Advisory Group and have a significant role to play in this work.



92        INSURANCE RETURNS - The Council had circulated 6,500 insurance surveys in an effort to seek information from those members of the public who had been affected by flooding and the impact this had on their ability to renew or obtain house insurance.  The return rate had been 29% which was considered a good response.  Overall 85% of respondees had experienced some difficulty in obtaining or renewing insurance.  Of these 22% had changed insurers whilst 78% had not or had been unable to obtain an alternative.  In 58% of cases costs had increased.  The survey had also indicated that respondees supported measures that would improve flood mitigation particularly if funding was available to support this.  The Council had also written to the Minister about the issue.  It had also been noted that the discussion between the Government and the Association of British Insurers had been extended.  Further assessment work would be undertaken of the survey responses and a report would be submitted to The Cabinet for its consideration and potentially further correspondence would be entered into with the Minister.



·        It was confirmed that Leven had been consulted as part of this exercise and there had been a good response.



·        It was confirmed that a letter had been circulated on 30 May 2013 regarding Cherry Burton flood alleviation works which could be used by residents as proof of such works having been implemented when seeking insurance however there was no guarantee that an insurance company would take any notice of this.



·        At this stage, no work had been undertaken to determine whether the unavailability of house insurance was having an impact on the housing market and impeding the ability of those wishing to move.



93        UPDATE ON LOCAL FLOOD RISK MANAGEMENT PLAN - Within the 20 year plan the following investment needs had been identified:-



            Inland Flooding           £129m             186 Projects



            Coastal Flooding         £9m                 12 Projects



            Tidal Flooding                         £300m             Multi Schemes



            There was a need to obtain quality evidence to support schemes in attempts to obtain funding.  This information would be available via the 15 catchment flood risk management plans as well as the Humber Strategy.  The partnership approach to funding was recognised as important.  The development of a wider, more comprehensive approach would also achieve a better understanding of flood issues.  It was also imperative that links were made with private elements in order to widen the approach and attempt to lever in further funding.



·        Concern was voiced from a parish representative about what was felt to be misleading media information circulated by the Environment Agency relating to funding for schemes.



·        A number of submitted bids had now been completed.  In terms of funding £450,000 had been obtained for smaller schemes whilst there had been £14m awarded for larger proposed works as well as an indicative sum of £5.5m of European funding.



94        FLOOD INVESTIGATIONS - UPDATE



(i)         Goole 2011 - The report had been published in January 2012 regarding the intense rainfall experienced during this event.  This had realised 15 recommendations however some of these issues had been clouded by subsequent flooding in 2012.  The majority of recommendations had been implemented but the proposal for a scheme to reduce flooding at Millennium Way had been unrealised owing to a lack of funding.  Hydraulic surveys were being undertaken.



(ii)        Pocklington - The report had been published in February 2013 and had identified the cause of flooding as being too much rain for a culvert to adequately cope with.  Five recommendations had been submitted to riparian owners whilst work was ongoing in identifying the case for future investment.  The Environment Agency had completed its investigations and was in the process of submitting funding bids as part of this work.



(iii)       Swinefleet - The drainage system had been overwhelmed as a result of weed growth.  The Internal Drainage Board had completed its clearing work as well as assessing the equipment in place and the condition of dykes.  There had been a feasibility study undertaken to look at the possibility of separating highways drainage from the system but the indications were this would not be practicable.  Minor improvement works had been completed and the implementation of monitoring equipment was also being considered. 



(iv)       Burton Fleming - The Gypsey Race had overflowed causing widespread flooding.  The water levels had only recently returned to normal allowing inspection of culverts.  The report had been completed and identified exceptionally high ground water levels as being the main flood source.  Hydraulic analysis had been undertaken as well as check for restrictions on flows.  On the outcome of this work it was intended that borehole monitoring would provide a means of assessing groundwater levels.



(v)        Kelleythorpe - The Gipsey Race had overflowed causing widespread flooding.  The Council had worked with riparian owners to address a number of issues.  Investigations had shown that a section of the Race at the Showground was culverted and this had been the source of much of the problem as well as vegetation growth.  These issues had been raised with the riparian owners. 



(vi)       Kilham - Flooding in this area had been caused by high groundwater levels and investigations were ongoing.  To date this had recognised that there were various restrictions within culverts and that there was significant clearing required.  The responsibility for this work rested with riparian owners.



(vii)      Goole 2012 - The drainage in this area was controlled by pumps at Carr Lane.  The report into the flooding would be published once the Council had completed its investigation.  Yorkshire Water had invested further money into the station.



·        There was a view expressed from the floor by a town councillor that the 2011 and 2012 flooding were linked by the failure at Carr Lane.  It was also suggested that an indication had been given to residents that a solution had been identified but to date nothing had materialised.  The town councillor also felt that the problem appeared to be exacerbated by further building on flood land which was storing up problems for the future. 

·        In response Yorkshire Water advised that Atlee Drive was a low lying area in Goole.  Studies had been undertaken to understand the weak points within the system.  This evidence based work had to be undertaken in order to unlock further funding and identify a solution.  This work had to be completed as it could also potentially identify wider issues which also needed to be addressed.  The Carr Lane pumping station was now at phase two of its work programme.  The current pumping arrangements would stay in situ and work was now ongoing to move temporary equipment underground within the next six to eight months.  There would be as a result capacity for extra pumping and increased capacity as part of the later staged work. 



·        It was confirmed that the Council had a team whose role was to ensure that riparian owners were aware of and undertook their responsibilities in relation to maintenance works.  Although the Council had yet to resort to Court action it had issued a number of notices.  The drawback was that in many cases there was difficulty in identifying ownership and even having established this it was often difficult to persuade riparian owners to undertake the work required and therefore the process could be protracted.



·        Although Howden had not been identified as a priority arising from the flooding in Goole in 2012 the issue was being addressed and meetings were being scheduled with the Town Council.



95        ENVIRONMENT AGENCY - The Agency had identified its maintenance programme on an area by area basis.  This work ranged from grass cutting to wracking and culvert inspections.  The grass cutting was undertaken so that flood defences could be inspected to ensure their viability as protection measures.  The schedule of work commenced in May and continued into November.  From the information available it was not possible to identify specific cutting schedules or when teams would be allocated to an area to undertake this work.  Information however could be made available and there was some flexibility within the schedules to allow discussion on what was considered appropriate.



·        Although dredging of water courses was considered a highly emotive issue the Agency was happy to hold discussions on this to establish whether such a course of action was necessary.



·        Stone Creek had been dredged by the Internal Drainage Board and this had seen a drop in water levels by a metre.  This offer to dredge had taken a year to agree with the Agency but was considered more beneficial than the Agency’s reed cutting exercise which allowed silt to build up.



·        It was important to continue dialogue to ensure maintenance was undertaken however the Agency’s maintenance budget was an area that was being heavily hit in terms of cuts.  Accordingly efforts had been taken to achieve maximum benefit from the funding available particularly through coordination and cooperation with other agencies that had water management responsibilities.



96        UPDATE ON TELEMETRY, MONITORING AND RESILIENCE - The first monitors had been introduced by the Council in 2009 which were aimed at highlighting potential problems.  Since that point the amount of monitoring equipment dispersed around the East Riding had increased as had its sophistication.  In 2007 it had been recognised that there was a lack of information and therefore since that point early warning gauges had been installed.  This programme was continuing which involved the identification of suitable sites.  This introduction of sophisticated monitoring equipment had however realised other issues particularly poor mobile reception within parts of the East Riding and therefore the Council had worked with manufacturers to bring about an improvement in this.  The upgraded equipment was now being introduced into all monitoring systems.  Further developments included the introduction of radar level censors at 46 sites.  The data emanating from these would be used to verify the various hydraulic models that were being built for the catchment areas and which would make modelling more reliable.  This spread of monitoring sites across the East Riding allowed the Council to be more proactive in preparing its responses as well as sharing its experiences with other agencies.  More recently six mobile pumps had been acquired which were based at depots across the East Riding.  This was part of the Council’s continuing work to improve resilience within the area.



·        Discussions were ongoing with the Environment Agency about its monitoring of groundwater levels for drinking water purposes and whether these arrangements could be utilised to monitor groundwater levels generally.



97        YORKSHIRE WATER UPDATE - The modelling work as a result of flooding in Goole was progressing.  At Kilham CCTV checks had been undertaken of the culverting and the foul sewer cleaned.  The condition of piping had been good but the system had been overwhelmed by the amount of groundwater within it.  As part of this investigation a number of random pipe connections had been highlighted and Yorkshire Water was currently looking at how these could be dealt with as they resulted in more groundwater accessing culverts however capping them was not an option until the impact of such work was identified.



            On the back of these investigations there had also been information exchange with the Council to identify issues and develop plans for those areas.  This took into account the opportunity of getting the best possible value for money for investment whilst avoiding duplication with other agencies.  This included looking at joint schemes which may not be considered a priority but could resolve future problems. 



            Water companies worked in five year cycles.  Work had commenced on identifying priorities for the next cycle.  This would result in the development of a business plan which would be considered by customer forums following which the final draft would be submitted to OFWAT for comment and final agreement. 



·        It was confirmed that a multi-agency meeting was being organised by Howden Town Council.



·        It was reported that the brick built flood wall at Canal Side West, Market Weighton Canal, Newport had subsided and that the highway had dropped as well.  A request was made for the inclusion of information indicating where works had been identified and were programmed to commence.




·        Canal Side East, Market Weighton Canal, Newport it was reported that an element of the bank had been cut through to allow drainage of the road but there was concern that once the canal filled, flooding would then ensue.



·        The repair of Collinsons Lane culvert had been well received as had works to the highway.



·        There was an indication from the floor that the latest insurance proposals would result in a cost levy for everyone on top of the base insurance.  The approach to be adopted was being considered at national level, whilst the presentation at the meeting had related to the results of a local survey.



·        It was confirmed that the Council was aware of some difficulties being experienced with the out of hours contact numbers and steps had been taken to improve arrangements.