Saturday 27 September 2014

Hello From The New Rector

I am Stephen Cope, and as from September 1, I am the new vicar of the Holme and Seaton Ross Group – well, to be strictly accurate, I’m a rector rather than a vicar, but that just gets things complicated. I’ve been doing this job, and enjoying most of it, for just on 25 years. Before that, I was a computer typesetter – and my first-ever full-time job was a bar/cellarman, which has left me with a liking for a pint or two of the proper stuff!

I have three grown-up daughters who have all left home and are strewn along the Yorkshire section of the M62, one granddaughter who has just turned five and is (of course) very sweet, and another on the way. Sadly, my wife died last year of a brain tumour, so I’m now on my own. My last parishes were centered on Withernsea, on the coast.

I was brought up in Bradford, and am still a season ticket holder at Bradford City, but please don’t hold that against me! Aside from football and beer, I enjoy vegetable gardening, railway infrastructure, ballet(!), and music of all sorts. I’m not too bad a cook – my father was in catering – though I’ve not yet invited anyone to come dine with me...

If anyone wants me to drop by, please just give me a ring (01430-626728) and we’ll see what we can arrange. Otherwise, I hope I’ll see many of you at various dos in the villages or in church. One last thing – there’s only one of me and I look pretty obvious (usually); but there are quite a few of you, and I am absolutely useless at remembering names, so don’t be offended if I don’t get it right first time – or second, or third! At least God knows who we all are... God bless,

Stephen (Revd. Canon)

Stephen Cope

The Vicarage
Holme-on-Spalding Moor

No comments:

Post a Comment