Thursday 26 January 2012

Telephone Scam

Alex was sent this email from ERYC about a telephone scam so we thought that we would make you all aware of this.
I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting a test on the telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the hash sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE...

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.
After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so Do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment